Celebrate the International Day of la Francophonie (Journée internationale de la Francophonie) with us! Our office in Dublin employs skilled native French project managers among other nationalities. Therefore, in honour of the French language and culture and to appreciate our French team in-house, we would like to give you a little background information on this day.
The International Organisation of the Francophonie (IOF) is an organisation responsible for the promotion of not just the French language and culture, but humanist values: democracy and human rights, throughout the world. Its head office is based in Paris and it has four permanent representations in:
- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (the African Union and at the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa)
- Brussels, Belgium (the EU)
- New York, USA
- Geneva, Switzerland (the UN)
Also, the IOF has three regional offices located in West Africa; Central Africa and Indian Ocean and Asia-Pacific). Each office is located in Lomé (Togo), Libreville (Gabon) and Hanoi (Vietnam), respectively. And with an additional two regional antennas in Bucharest, Romania and Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
The French Speaking World
Observed annually on the 20th of March, the International Organisation of La Francophonie was created in 1970.
Its mission is to embody the active solidarity between its 80 member states and governments (57 members and 23 observers)
Their website aims at enabling its users to:
- Discover the extent of the IOF’s vitality and wealth, its diverse cultures, accents and partner languages
- Inform of the IOF’s latest political activities and to promote peace, democracy and human rights worldwide
- Learn about the cooperative measures to promote the French language, cultural diversity, sustainable development, education and training
- Surf the Web more easily using RSS feeds and to discover all the French language resources available online
- Access a database comprising thousands of photos, videos and audio content
Visit the International Organisation of La Francophonie for all the latest information.
Francophonie in Ireland!
The French Embassy in Ireland has a page dedicated to the IOF. There, you can discover events happening around the country involving the French language and culture.
Interested in the French language? Then why not leave us a comment in French!
You can also engage with others on Twitter using #francophonie.
The STAR Team