How to make a quiche for World Quiche Day…
30 ml (1 3/4 cup) unbleached all purpose flour
• 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) baking powder
• 125 ml (1/2 cup) cold, unsalted butter, cut into cubes
• 90 ml (6 tablespoons) of ice water
• 1 egg
• 225 g (1/2 lb.) bacon slices about 1/2 cm (1/4 “) thick, cut into bacon pieces
• 1 large onion chopped
• 500 ml (2 cups) cream
• 6 eggs
• 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) grated Gruyere cheese
• Salt and pepper
1. In the food processor, mix flour and baking powder. Add the butter and mix for a few seconds at a time, until the butter is the size of peas. Add the water, egg and mix again until the dough just starts to form. Add ice water as needed. Remove the dough from the robot and form a disc with your hands.
2. On a floured work surface, lower the dough. Darken a quiche dish 10 inches (25 cm) in diameter. Fold the excess dough inwards, pressing to double around. Using a fork, prick the bottom of the crust. Refrigerate 30 minutes or freeze 15 minutes.
3. Place the rack in the bottom of the oven. Preheat the oven to 190 ° C (375 ° F).
4. Meanwhile, in a frying pan, brown the bacon. Add onion and continue cooking until tender. Drain the cooking fat. Let cool.
5. In a bowl, combine the cream and eggs with a whisk until the mixture is smooth. Add the bacon mixture and the cheese. Salt and pepper.
Pour into crust and bake for about 45 minutes or until quiche is lightly browned. Let it stand about 10 minutes